Tuesday 25 November 2008

Finishing touches...

The foyer is pretty much done now, which is a huge weight off my shoulders. I have successfully modelled and textured most of the room and am now in the process of tying up loose ends, adding final small models, texturing the odd thing here and there etc.

I have spent the best part of this week remodelling the stairs and the bannisters to occupy them. This was so much more difficult than expected because I had to join the bannisters up for the balcony (which were fully smoothed- argghh!). A common problem which I have still not learnt from even though it has happened about 50 times throughout this project is ....not to smooth an object till the very end! It is so annoying when you cant go back far enough in an object history to unsmooth it. The reason for going back to a low poly model is to ultimately carry on working into it, remodel, attach it to another object, pull verts, extrude - anything really. A smoothed model is simply to hard to deal with.

So yeah I had to attach the two mirrored bannisters on the balcony, make the carpet all match up, ensure the architecture under the stairs looked neat and tidy. I then carefully placed the coloumn's to give the wacky illusion that they are propping the stairs up either side. If that wasn't enough I had to texture map the whole thing and apply my cartoony grains and bumps. The stairs have been a long exhausting process and to be honest the worst part of the project for me.

The rest of the time this week has been finishing up texturing, applying the missing ones, touching up existing ones, adding the odd ramp shader here and there to emphasise the vibrant colourful style. Other small jobs included modelling the other arm to the statue, remodelling the palm tress leaves, bannister swirl, texturing door knobs etc etc. The list goes on, as it has been a week full of small jobs so far.

I have got one new image to show my adoring fans is of the newly engraved plak for the statue. I used a simply bump map of black text to achieve the effect. It reads " SIMPLY THE BEST" - we thought that sentance sums up pony's ego in 1....

No comments: