Monday 17 November 2008

Creating and texturing Frames....

Right well I watched "Horton hears a who" at the weekend, and studied the textures used carefully. Upon closer inspection I realised that although simple plain colours were used, they were not just plain lamberts, they all had some form of grainy texture or bump on them, giving them that depth and cartoony realism. I was particularly influenced by the picture frames in the whoville manor. They were exactly the style and colour I wanted to achieve for my foyer picture frames. They too had a slight grainy texture applied to the gold colour applied to them making them look beutifully elegent and warped. Below is a screenshot from the film, displaying the frames I am describing...














I tried to re-create the same style and texture for my frames today, and applied the paintings within them. I am really pleased with them, I love the grainy bump i managed to achieve with Mr grigsby's help. I ran into a problem with the bump map being stretched and wierd, but it turns out I hadn't UV mapped it properly. With a little help I soon realised I had to planar map the bump file, increase the UV repeat option, and decrease the depth. Anyway they came out like this....















If you click the pictures you can see the bump texture better. I attempted the swirls modelled in the Whoville versions but just couldn't get it to look right, and as pointed out by phil, these picttures will only be seen for like a second each, and the camera flys past them quickly doing its MTV shizzle. So no need to spend tedious amounts of time on things that won't be seen for long. A good days work considering the industry day talks took up most of my time. Bring on tommorow and more texturing!

No comments: