Thursday 13 November 2008

Statue Modelling....

Well today I had a discussion with the group about this statue problem, and pitched my idea for the mounted horse. I showed the guys my concepts and they weren't overly keen on the idea, and if anything thought it would be harder to model a horse than a muscular body. Although i spent time developing my horse idea, I knew deep down they were probably right. Aswell as this Dave mentioned a good point - that the environment/character interaction we had with the globe idea would be lost with a horse. The world rolling off and falling off him made much more sense than a random piece of a statue breaking off. So anyway I agreed and spent the day modelling a human male torso from reference images I found off the net. I used 2 image planes on my side and front view, and focused on defining the anotomy of the chest....
















It took me a long time, and I felt like giving up many times, but I kept plugging away and in the end used a lattice deformer to help me reshape it, aswell as exaggerate and cartoonify it. Once happy I attached it to our guys head and applied a smooth. I didn't have time (or the energy) to do the muscly arms or globe today, but I will definately give it a go tommorow. To get a rough idea of how the model would look like with the solid gold texture I'm hoping for I downloaded a gold shader off the internet. It actually came out quiite nice, very similar to an Oscar trophy. I think it looks fine without legs aswell, so I will be sticking to with just the torso, arms, and globe. As for the Afro, not sure whether it looks better with, or without. Another decision for tommorow....

No comments: