Tuesday 9 December 2008

Musical weekend

Over the weekend I provided my good friend John with the latest playblast of our film so he could get started on producing some cribs music to accompany it. I had total faith in him, as he is a well respected music producer, and has produced beats for some big names in his time. I spent the best part of Saturday with him in his studio giving my thoughts and opinions for song choice, as well as explaining to him how I invisinged the music working. I managed to give him a rough brief however I wanted him to have a creative input into the track and let him do his thING. We then watched a few cribs episodes for inspiration. We agreed it had to have the following qualities:

- Upbeat and fast paced
- recognized R n B / Hip hop tunes
- Maintain the MTV cribs style
- Contain no swearing
- Have a big build up upon entering the front door
- Have record scratches and jolts to match the camera
- Include sound fx
- Fun
- Each track had to mix flowingly into the next on beat
- "Benny benessi - satisfaction" had to be included for the thong scene!

I think those were the main issues we addressed. Anyway he was amazing, he did everything I asked and more. We agreed on every song choice and everything seemed to fit into place. We even managed to get lyrics to match things that were happening on screen e.g lethal bizzle pow's on every picture frame, and house of pains jump when pony jumps, as well as the word down for when he falls haha. He managed to custom mix the songs to match our cuts, and have the tracks land on beat and in time. It was difficult at first because john quickly pointed out that MTV cheat their track mixes by using the time when the celebrity talks (the dialogue) to drown out the mix. As our character has no dialogue his mixes had to be spot on. The music really really brings the film to life, I can't stress how much it's improved it visually in a wierd way. I'm so chuffed with the sound I can't wait to hear it with the final rendered film instead of a shitty playblast.

Anyway theres not much more to be said other than I owe him a big thankyou and everyone better watch out coz our films gnna blow u away - aswell as your ear drums!

No comments: