Friday 12 December 2008

FINISHED!

Well i just thought I'd post my last DDP post to say how much I've enjoyed working with you guys. Right from the beginning we all had the same vision for the type of style we wanted to achieve from our environment, and we often referred to "squint" as our aim to quality. Well I can safely say I think we bettered squint, I love our film and I think we've set new boundaries for other 1st years to look up to as we did.

I didn't know either of you 2 well at the start of this term, I don't even think I'd said more than 2 words to you in the whole of the 1st year, and yet went on to not only become friends good friends at the end of this, but produce a film that was better than any of the high hopes I had! It has honestly been a pleasure working with you 2, theres been lows - stairs, water, importing character, painting weights, image planes, rendering!! to name but a few, but nothing beats the high of seeing this thing done now. I think I must have watched it like 50 times now!

Phil was the rationalist within the group, making us set realistic targets and scrap ambitious ideas, not to mention his great animation and modelling talents (shame he couldn't use his talents to bargin down the price of cheese in the canteen this term!) He was always in early (well except for the final week, huh~?! lol) and stayed late with me in college the whole way through, so no need to question his dedication to the project.

Dave has been so enjoyable to work with simply because of his continous upbeat mood, and making me laugh just by describing the maya problems at times, or even looking at me lol. There were times when I had to push him to put that extra bit of effort in to make the mansion scene just that bit better, and I think he'll agree it was constructive and worth it. I am blown away by how good the exterior of our mansion looks, its so simple yet vibrant and proffesional, love it. His rigging skills were vital to Lil G even existing, without them we would of had no animation what so ever, so thanks mate.

And I hope I have been ok to work with, I have found out alot more about myself over the 9 weeks, including that I am a serious perfectionist, I am not as laid back with ideas as I thought, I can be stubborn at times which I'm not sure is good or bad. I also somehow take on a directorial role without meaning to, I just love to be organised and know who's doing what and set targets.
I also believe my strengths lie in animating and character design and modeling. I did not enjoy texturing and lighting at all. I also found modeling an environment alot different to that of a character, I was constantly modeling with neat edge flow and thinking about keeping everything uniformed and one object. I've come to realise it can all be done alot easier with overlapping objects, boolean tools, bump maps etc etc.

I hope we have the chance to work again, re unite DDP's winning formula, and keep knocking them show reel pieces out there! The final film can be seen on the DDP main blog. Thanks again boys.

No comments: